Have you talked to a financial planner, or are you still looking for advisors you can trust with your future?
If you’re planning for retirement but are still in the fact-gathering phase, consider these five financial facts from Time Magazine:
- Saving is a surer way to wealth than investing. According to Time, “investing is important, but all the investing skill in the world doesn’t amount to much unless you regularly set aside savings that you can invest.” While saving and investing are both required for building wealth, saving is the more reliable of the two.
- Higher returns always involve higher risks. When the financial markets aren’t delivering the gains you’d like, it can be very tempting to go out and hunt for investments that can do better. “Any time you’re tempted to stretch for a higher return or fatter yield, remember: The investing world offers no free lunches. One way or another, higher returns always come with greater risk, even if that risk isn’t always apparent,” says Time.
- Simple is better than complex. The more complicated your investing strategy is, the harder it is to manage your portfolio and the more things that can go wrong. A streamlined approach has a much greater chance of success.
- Overconfidence is your worst enemy. It’s okay to admit you don’t know as much as you think you do about investing! Talking to a financial advisor before making big decisions regarding your portfolio is encouraged rather than making quick, overconfident decisions.
- At the end of the day, the onus is on you to make good financial decisions. According to Time, “At some point, most or all of us rely on some source outside ourselves for financial guidance, whether it’s a financial advisor, a friend or relative whose opinion we value or a publication or website we trust.” While that’s fine, and natural, a second opinion or sounding board should still be backed up with good research and financial knowledge.
Still not sure what the right financial moves are? Talk to a trusted financial advisor in Ann Arbor! At Imber Wealth Advisors, our sole focus is you, your family, and your dreams for the future. We’ll help you put together a plan, and will sit down with you whenever you have questions or concerns. Give us call and visit our website today for more information!